Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Vacation from Sewing

Last Wednesday, my family and I headed off to Colorado to see some family. My husband's Grandfather passed away earlier this year and we came to help clean out the house. Thursday, we got a late start but headed up to Josh's Aunt's house in Big Elk Meadow. It is a small gated community in a valley in the Rockies. They have a little private pool so we went for a quick swim followed by dinner at a really good BBQ joint in Estes Park.

On Saturday, the real work started. Josh's Grandpa Herb was a bit of a collector. We found bank statements that belonged to his parents, old coins dating from the 1800's and old family pictures. We found two pictures that were printed on copper plates. Herb was the only surviving son of five in his family so he had the majority of the family treasures. We spent most of the three-day weekend cleaning out the basement and doing yardwork. It was a lot of work but we had fun spending time with Josh's family.

Since it wasn't practical to bring sewing with me, I decided to focus on some knitting. I started a scarf for my sister when I was in Colorado at Thanksgiving but it kept getting set aside for other projects. Since it was a Christmas present last year, I decided I need to focus on it and just get it done. I was able to finish it up on the plane coming home. I just need to weave in the ends and block it.

The most exciting part of the trip was that Adam started walking. It must be something about the high altitude because he started crawling when we visited at Thanksgiving. I think he really just needed a little confidence to stand on his own because once he started, he was able to walk all over the place.

I am planning on giving myself one more day of vacation but I will be starting up the sewing challenge again on Thursday, starting with day 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment